Grant Harper (@grantharper)
Where is your MicroAdventure located?
How long is the MicroAdventure in total, out and back?
Give the people a short description of your Micro-Adventure.
We caught a shuttle to the start of the trail about 5ks from the Mnweni cultural centre. Our "mission" was to hike up Rockeries pass and stay in Ledges cave at the top of the escarpment. The Mnweni marathon was the next day so we hoped to catch top runners coming up Mnweni pass and cheer them on. We headed back down rockeries after a quick breakie and numerous cups of tea/coffee
How do you get to the start? Please share some directions.
Mnweni Cultural Centre is a four-hour drive from Johannesburg and 2.5 hours from Durban.
- Take the R74 to Bergville from Harrismith or after Estcourt (if coming from Durban)
- Travelling from Harrismith take the Rookdale turn off to the right on entering Bergville and drive for 16 km on this road
- Turn left to the Mnweni cultural centre (signposted)
- Drive for 1.8 Km and turn right again
- 16 Km of rough dirt road brings you to a large drift where the Ntonyelane river flows over the road
- The Mnweni cultural centre is a further 200 m on the right
How much did it cost (per person)?
R0 - R250 per person
Best time to go?
A quick note about safety. Can you do it solo? Do you need a crew?
You can do it solo, but always good to be surrounded by good friends to share the stoke
What sport is this adventure most related to?
Hiking & Trail Running
Do you need any special permissions / permits?
How difficult is the Micro-Adventure?
8 out of 10